Ankara Old Town Tour (Castle and Its Surrounding)
Whether you visit one of Ankara’s famous museums or check out the cafes and yatık döner (means kebap restaurants) of the Ankara Castle, ANKARA WALKING FREETOUR will help you get your bearings in this often confusing city, and allow you to make the most of your stay here.
We’ll walk you through the history of Ankara, from its start as a cosmopolit estate of Ottoman Empire on the Hills of Ankara Castle to becoming the capital city of Turkish Republic. We take you where others don’t and tell you the stories you’d never hear otherwise. From the interesting relationship between muslim community(turks) and non-muslim community (jewish and armenians) to the tragedy of Armenian exile then independence war against greek army getting closer to West border of Ankara, we aim to give you a perfect introduction to Ankara.
Our unique style of history and local connection has made us one of the most popular tour company in Ankara. We want everyone to experience Ankara, regardless of their budget. That’s why we work on a tips-only basis. If by the end of the tour, you feel the tour was worth paying for, you can tip us. We will help you get the most out of your time in this fantastic city: better guides make for better tours, especially if the guide is a local which we call ANKARA-LOVER. And we champ at the bit to show you our city!
On this 3 hour tour we cover:
- The Castle of Ankara – Upside
- Surround of Castle
- Pirinç Han(ancient trade place in Turkish culture)
- Çengel Han(ancient trade place in Turkish culture)
- Şengül Hamamı(Historical Turkish bath)
- Cultural tastes of Ankara (Yatık döner & Ankara döneri & Ankara tava)
- Hamamönü (composed of streets and houses with architecture of Ankara) – Downside
- Tespihçiler Kahvehanesi (you can see most interesting cultural daily life activity: Drinking tea and tell one’s beads)
- Historic National Parliament (where the Turkish republic was founded)
- Hacı Bayram Veli Mosque and its surround